Thursday, August 28, 2008

Frankpollis EP


I don't remember how I ran across Frankpollis.  Probably by chance through some online Misshapes-slash-Jackson Pollis gossip via Gawker.  But I was curious enough to give their MySpace a listen, and through further research I learned that Anton Newcombe of the Brian Jonestown Massacre crashed one of their gigs once - score one for this band of Williamsburgers.  I figured they'd sound like any other musical venture of bored hipsters, and with listed influences like Sonic Youth and Pavement I was convinced that their MO would be to recreate the lost alternative scene in its noisy, shoegazey glory.  However, I was pleasantly surprised and over the next few months I would revisit their MySpace on occasion to give their tracks a listen.  

Their self-titled EP eventually ended up on iTunes so I finally gave in to the music industry and made it my first-ever iTunes purchase.  And it does not sound like a gang of pretentious Brooklynities trying to freak out their listeners.  This is solid stuff.  There is definitely that Sonic Youth wall of sound with a prettier My Bloody Valentine vibe that appears throughout, but the noise is more focused than that - at the heart of every track is some legitimate songwriting backed up by some sound chops.  Real music?  Imagine that.

Frankpollis do not shy away from the pop side of rock, either.  "Expectations" could be a radio single; it recalls a less melancholy Coldplay that enjoys rocking out, complete with smooth, Chris Martin-esque vocals.  "Truths Been Told" is the ballad that ascends into layered instrumental harmonies over its five minute duration, throws in a little noise and then seamlessly transitions into the two-part closer "Sacred Soil/Sacred Heart."  As a cohesive unit, the EP is refreshing and draws no direct comparisons.  This could be the soundtrack to summer winding down until the autumn chill creeps in; versatile, interesting and thoughtful, a little gem of an EP that Pitchfork & Co have not yet hyped the life out of.  Enjoy it while it's special.  -A

No comments: